Wilbur is one of the four playable Characters exclusive to the Shipwrecked DLC. He is one of two Shipwrecked Characters that cannot be unlocked via Experience. He is an intelligent monkey, albeit unable to speak human languages, and is considered to be the king of monkeys.
Main article: Tarnished Crown
–Wagstaff, when examining the Soggy Monkey.
In worlds generated after the Wilbur vs. The Volcano update, and if not already unlocked, Wilbur may be found on a Raft in the Ocean (most often around the borders between the deep and shallow waters surrounding an island). In order to unlock Wilbur, one must return his Tarnished Crown to him. The crown has a 10% chance to drop upon the death of any Prime Ape or the destruction of any Prime Ape Hut, granted that it does not exist already in the current world or Wilbur hasn't been unlocked already.
- Wilbur was added to Don't Starve: Shipwrecked in the Wilbur vs. The Volcano update on February 4, 2016. He is the third Character to be implemented in the DLC.
- Wilbur was added during the year of the Monkey.
- Despite his inability to speak, Wilbur will actually say "'Nanas!" and "'Nonos!" when examining Bananas and Banana Pops, respectively. These are the only instances when he speaks in some form other than his usual monkey gibberish.
- Wilbur is voiced by a barrel organ (also referred to as a "monkey organ", after the popular street acts involving monkeys cranking the instrument).
- Wilbur's portrait could be found in the game files for Don't Starve since at least December 2012.
- When Wilbur is struck by Lightning, it can be seen that his Crown has bones in it.
- Wilbur's title of "The Monkey King" is likely a reference to the character Sun Wukong from The Journey to the West who shares the same title.
|Reign of Giants
|Don't Starve Together