Wurt is a Character exclusive to Don't Starve Together, who was released on October 24, 2019. Like Wortox, Wanda and Wormwood, she needs to be unlocked, either by purchasing the Wurt Chest, Wurt Deluxe Chest, or Starter Pack addon to the Megapack Bundle or by weaving her with 2700 Spools. She is a young, curious Merm Guard.
–Official description for The Monster Marsh
Wurt's biography in the Compendium gives a bit of her backstory:
Wurt is a little Merm girl who wants to bring her people back to their former glory (if they did indeed ever have a former glory... the evidence is a bit shaky on that front). A bit more open-minded than other Merms, she has taken to following the Survivors around and learning more about them. She is particularly fascinated by books with pretty pictures inside and an amazing thing the humans call "candy". Though she enjoys living in the swamp and being around other Merms, being the smallest and the youngest often makes her feel quite isolated, and she is enjoying the novelty of having some friends closer to her own age amongst the Survivors.
In the animated short The Monster Marsh, an instance of her meeting the survivors is showcased. On a Hallowed Nights night, Wickerbottom reads a scary story to Webber and Wendy as they sit around a Fire Pit in the swamp. They are attacked by a mob of Merms, who trample through their camp as they give chase. Wurt follows them until she steps on Wickerbottom's book (which looks like the popular fairy tale Hansel and Gretel). She takes immediate interest in the story and sits at the base of a Spiky Tree as the survivors and Merms battle. After defeating the Merms and Spiders, a Tentacle takes them all out and one of their Candy Bags lands near Wurt. She helps herself to a piece of candy and continues to enjoy the book.
- Wurt's existence was accidentally leaked on October 12, 2019, when her Essential Wurt skin item was found in a Klei developer's Steam inventory.
- Even earlier, players discovered quotes from various characters on Wurt. Only instead of the name Wurt it was written NewCharacter.
- She has a unique idle animation in which she scratches one of her horns.
- When she was first implemented, she had many lines that implied she, like other Merms, could see in the dark. Most lines were later changed to remove reference to night vision. She will still say that she can "still see" when a Torch goes out, however.
- It was confirmed by Dan Sorce, a developer, that Wurt's voice is the combination of a sawtooth tone and the sound of gargling.
- Wurt's skull was found in the DST files as of May 6, 2021.
- An enhanced Wurt in costume is like an infected Toadstool.
- The Victorian Wurt shows Wurt's transformation from a merm to a furry creature (apparently a goat). This is the opposite of what was shown in The Gorge event, where all players turned into merms upon defeat. The description says she doesn't like fur, but her snow skin description says she's used to fur.
- Wurt's birthday is listed as October 17 in the Compendium.
- She has a unique way of referring to various mobs, such as calling the Merms "mermfolk" and the Clockworks (including WX-78) as "ironfolk".
- During the Rhymes with Play, developers confirmed her horns are because she's a Merm Guard.
- In 2023 Klei Developers mades Don't Starve holiday card wich shows how some Don't Starve chsracters mades a snowman, and wich was based on old victorian card Wierd Snowman,
- The Abyssal Wurt is a Lophius.
- The Merrymaker Wurt description is a reference to Sugar Plum Fairy dance.
- The Roseate Wurt is an axolotl.
- The Triumphant Wurt is a shark
- The Swashbuckler Wurt is Caridea
- Guest of Honor Wurt looks like a goldfish
- The Little Sinker Wurt is a references to Kraken Legends
- Also The Little Sinker skin is reminiscent of Howard Lovecraft's Cthulhu
- Her examination quote for rabbits is mostly likely a reference to Elmer J. Fudd, Bugs Bunny's rival
- Hallowed Nights and Wurt available October 24th! (And more!) Forum post posted on October 18, 2019
- Hallowed Nights Has Returned and Wurt has Arrived + much more! Posted on October 24, 2019.
- Return of Data Mining, Art Assets, Model Dumping & More! (SPOILERS!) thread, post by Kynoox_. Posted on October 12, 2019.
- Confirmed by FANDOM user Dsorce in a comment below the Wurt page, who confirmed to an administrator he is the same person as Dan Sorce per the Klei Forums.
|Reign of Giants
|Don't Starve Together