Wendy Carter is the third playable Character in Don't Starve that can be unlocked via Experience, with 640 XP, and one of the playable Characters in Don't Starve Together (DST). Wendy has a morbid personality; she always relates everything (even herself) to death and how depressing life is.
As part of the Don't Starve Together content updates, Wendy received a character refresh on March 19, 2020.
–Description from her introductory forum post
A glimpse into Wendy and Abigail's pasts were shown in the animated short Wish You Were Here. Wendy and Abigail Carter used to live near a cliff side overlooking the ocean. Under mysterious circumstances, Abigail died. As a result, Wendy became severely depressed. She started to dabble in spiritualism. The "Wendy's Nightstand" Vignette shows her diary, in which she related a strange dream where she could hear "the same song repeating over and over", thinking it was Abigail trying to communicate with her.
This information is also summarized in her biography entry of DST's Compendium:
Wendy's tale of woe began with the untimely loss of her dear sister Abigail. Unable to accept the thought of life without her twin, Wendy began turning to the occult in the hopes of finding some way to communicate with the other side. After much trial and error, séance candles burned down to nubs and spirit boards thrown away in frustration, Wendy was nearly ready to give up and fall into despair... until finally, there was a sign. A ragtime tune might seem like a strange message to send from the great beyond, but Wendy was desperate to grab hold of anything that might bring her closer to her sister. And sure enough, a voice would soon tell her exactly what she needed to do...
- Wendy was added to the original Don't Starve Chrome build on August 7, 2012.
- This meant that Wendy was originally unlockable before Wolfgang.
- Wendy's voice is played by an alto flute.
- Wendy has a skull in the game files.
- When struck by Lightning in DLCs, Wendy, like most other characters, is shown to have bones in her hair. In addition to this, she seems to have bones in her skirt and flower.
- Wendy was added to Don't Starve Together with the Stuck in the Middle with Ewe update, making her the second character to be added after the initial closed Beta release of DST.
- In Don't Starve Together, upon death, Wendy's ghost's flower is yellow instead of red. This is to differentiate her from Abigail. Note that Abigail will still follow Wendy's ghost, and resume normal behavior until defeat.
- In Don't Starve Together, Wendy has a unique idle animation in which she pulls out a flower and pulls off one of it's petals.
- It was confirmed in the image released at the time of Wendy's rework that Wendy and Abigail are Maxwell's nieces. There were a few clues to this fact, including Wendy's examination quote for Maxwell ("I feel a strange kinship with him.") and the letter from Jack Carter in the 3rd William Carter Puzzle (Jack Carter being Wendy and Abigail's father, and thus making Maxwell their uncle).
- This was also supported by Maxwell's quote for Abigail's Flower: "Hmm? What a familiar presence."
- For some reason, she associates yellow gems with her mother, given her quote for a Yellow Gem ("It reminds me of my mother.") and Yellow Moonlens ("What color were mother's eyes?").
- Wendy likes art, however she keeps it a secret, as seen with her quotes for the Feather Pencil ("M... Maybe I'll doodle something... When nobody's looking."), Den Decoration Set ("I might ask to borrow some colored pencils..."), and Potter's Wheel ("That looks... F-Fun...").
- Webber seems to be her best friend, as both his quotes and her quotes imply that they play games and have tea parties, as well as a few minor details like having friendship bracelets.
- Wendy's loading screen vignette from The Forge is accompanied by text that reveals why she's still mourning Abigail: Wendy clings fiercely to the grief over her sister's death, for fear that moving on would cause Abigail's memory to fade.
- Wendy's birthday is listed as November 11 in the Compendium.
- Wendy is stated to be between 8 and 10 years old.
- This range can be narrowed down by examining various dates from the William Carter puzzles and the image of her nightstand. Jack's letter in the third William Carter puzzle, which mentions the twins, must have been written no later than the August 1904 dates from the fourth puzzle. This means that Wendy and Abigail were born no later than August 1904. Additionally, Wendy's diary entry, which was likely written before she entered the Constant, has a date of April 16, 1914. Since Wendy's birthday is in November, her only possible date of birth is November 11, 1903.
- Sometimes a message like this may appear during the loading screen in DST: "Nothing could ever come between Wendy and her twin sister Abigail. Some bonds transcend even death."
- In 2023 Klei Developers mades Don't Starve holiday card wich shows how some Don't Starve chsracters mades a snowman, and wich was based on old victorian card Wierd Snowman,
- Her Victorian skin seems to be a reference to the complex funeral practices of Victorian England.
- During the Rhymes with Play #201 stream, Toni said that the red scarf is a reference to "The Velvet Ribbon" urban legend.
- Her Halloween vignette of her standing with Abigail in the Kalon hallway is reminiscent of a scene from "The Shining" where two twin girls were also standing in the middle of the hallway.
- The Supernatural Wendy seems to be a simultaneous reference to Samara Morgan from The Ring due to her hair down the front and the portrait where she is trying to get out of, as well as Grady Twin from The Shining due to her costume.
- The Verdant Wendy quote refers to chapter 13 of Peter Pan in which Peter called for clapping if the children believed in fairies in order to save the fairy Dinh.
- Wendy's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week! Posted on March 12, 2020.
- All About Earliest Don't Starve Versions | First Game Builds | Release Notes. Posted on May 24, 2020.
- JoeW's comment about Wendy's age from the forums: "Note, we have decided to officially state that Wendy is between 8 and 10 years old. Previously we wanted to leave it up to interpretation but we've decided we want it to be clear going forward." Posted on October 3, 2019.
|Reign of Giants
|Don't Starve Together