Crab King

From Don't Starve Wiki
(Redirected from Cannon Tower)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Exclusive to: Don't Starve Together icon.png

Walter Portrait.png
YES!! Now that's a proper sea monster!

Walter

The Crab King is a Boss Mob exclusive to Don't Starve Together, introduced in Return of Them.

It can be found in the Swell Ocean inside a circle of Sea Stacks in its inert form. Its position can be indicated by the Astral Detector if the Inactive Celestial Tribute has not yet dropped.

Players must socket 9 Gems to turn it into its aggressive form and start the boss fight. It will destroy all the nearby Sea Stacks and create the visual effect of geysers, which will not have any effect though.

If the player leaves combat, the Crab King will return to its inert state, dropping all the gems socketed, despawn all Crab Guards, Crab Knights, Cannon Towers, Imposing Claws, Ice Floes and respawn new Sea Stacks around itself.

Upon death, the Crab King drops all the socketed gems, 7 pieces of Meat, 8 Crab King Bumper Kits, 4 Soprano Shell Bells with a 50% chance and a 25% to get one extra, 3 Alto Shell Bells with a 50% and 25% chance to get one extra, 2 Baritone Shell Bells with a 50% chance to get one extra, 3 Barnacles plus 4 extra with a 25% chance for each, and a Blueprint for the Strident Trident. If the Pearl's Pearl was socketed, a Cracked Pearl is dropped instead of the Pearl's Pearl, and an Inactive Celestial Tribute in the form of an Underwater Salvageable appears as well.

It reappears 20 days after being killed.

Crab King has Explosive Resistance and cannot be put to sleep. Its resistance to freezing is 3 and increases with the number of Blue Gems.

Brain.png Behavior

When Crab King wakes up, it summons 5 Imposing Claws and 4 Cannon Towers to attack the player.

When Crab King's Health drops below 10800, it will try to heal itself for every 1500 health lost or every time all claws are killed, after 12 seconds.

It will first despawn all Imposing Claws and constantly generate a great number of Waves to push all Float Platforms away. At the same time, it summons a ring of geysers, indicated by bubbles, in a circle of 8 units around itself, in all directions other than south. After 8 seconds the geysers will erupt once per second until there aren't any Float Platforms within 14 units. Then the Crab King will create a 16 unit radius Ice Floe around itself, destroying all structures or plants on it. It then summons 3 Crab Guards and creates a circular Ice Barrier around itself. As long as the Ice Barrier is intact, the Crab King cannot be targeted by any attacks.

If the Crab King's Health drops below 4200, it will also summon a Crab Knight each time.

After summoning the Ice Floe, the Crab King taunts for 10 seconds and then begins to repair its shell every 1.2 seconds, restoring 50 Health each time. If any attack hits while repairing, the repair fails and health is not restored. This behavior continues until the crab returns to full health or the Ice Barrier breaks up.

25 seconds after the Ice Barrier was broken, the Ice Floes will break, with the floes closest to Crab King breaking first. The Crab King will then summon Imposing Claws and Cannon Towers up to their original numbers.

Pearl's Pearl.pngGems

The Crab King's fighting abilities depend on the number of gems of each color socketed into it. Iridescent Gems count as 1 of each color and the Pearl's Pearl counts as 3 of each color.

These gems will flash when Crab King uses the respective ability.

Gem Count Red Gem.png Blue Gem.png Purple Gem.png Yellow Gem.png Orange Gem.png Green Gem.png
Cannon Tower Damage Cannon Tower cause Leak Freeze resistance Ice Barrier health Time between the break of the ice barrier and the breakup of the ice floes Number of Crab Guards Crab Guard health Crab Guard sleep resistance Crab Knight sleep resistance Number of Cannon Towers Cannon Tower health Cannon Tower damage when collision with Float Platfrom Healing per rock Attacked while healing Number of Imposing Claws Imposing Claws health Imposing Claws damage
0 20 No 3 100 25 3 200 2 12 4 300 300 times of speed 50 Interrupting Healing Action 5 200 40
1 25 4 23 220 5
2 30 5 21 4 240 6 125 6 50
3 35 6 19 260 7
4 40 7 17 5 280 8 200 7 60
5 45 Small Leak 8 300 15 350 12 22 9 600 240 times of speed Healing Action retrogress 13 frames 400
6 50 9 13 6 380 10 275 8 70
7 55 10 11 410 11
8 60 Big Leak 11 500 9 7 520 22 32 12 900 180 times of speed 350 Healing Action retrogress 8 frames 9 600 80
9 65 12 7 560 13
10 70 13 5 8 600 14 425 10 90
11 100 14 900 3 840 15 1200 100 times of speed 1000

Spear.png Fight

Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Crab King when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.

Number of Hits
Item Crab King.png
Old Bell.png Reign of Giants icon.png 12 0 0
Obsidian Coconade.png Shipwrecked icon.png 36 0 0
Coconade.png Shipwrecked icon.png Hamlet icon.png 48 0 0
Spear Gun Obsidian.png Shipwrecked icon.png 59 - 79 Charged.png 0 - 0 Charged.png 0 - 0 Charged.png
Gunpowder.png
60 0 0
Bee Mine.png ≥75 ≥0 ≥0
Spear Gun Battle.png Shipwrecked icon.png 76 as Wigfrid Portrait.png 0 as Wigfrid Portrait.png 0 as Wigfrid Portrait.png
Spear Gun Spear.png Spear Gun Poison.png Shipwrecked icon.png 118 0 0
Obsidian Spear.png Shipwrecked icon.png 118 - 236 0 - 0 0 - 0
Blow Dart.png 120 0 0
Electric Dart.png Don't Starve Together icon.png 134 (80 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png)
Dark Sword.png
Glass Cutter.png Don't Starve Together icon.png
177 0 0
Cutlass Supreme.png Shipwrecked icon.pngHamlet icon.png 177 0 0
Tooth Trap.png 200 0 0
Pew-matic Horn.png Hamlet icon.png 353, 267 or 200 0, 0 or 0 0, 0 or 0
Thulecite Club.png 202 0 0
Ham Bat.png 202 - 404 0 - 0 0 - 0
Obsidian Axe.png Shipwrecked icon.png 221 - 442 - Charged.png 0 - 0 - Charged.png 0 - 0 - Charged.png
Tentacle Spike.png

Cursed Rounds.png Marbles.pngDon't Starve Together icon.png

236 0 0
Slurtle Slime.png 240 0 0
Halberd.png Hamlet icon.png 272 0 0
Morning Star.png Reign of Giants icon.png 277 (167 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png)
Bat Bat.png
Battle Spear.png Reign of Giants icon.png
283 0 0
Bramble Trap.png Don't Starve Together icon.png 300 0 0
Spear.png

Moon Glass Axe.png Gold Rounds.png Don't Starve Together icon.png

353 0 0
Trident.png Shipwrecked icon.png 353 (118 Toy Boat.png) 0 (0 Toy Boat.png) 0 (0 Toy Boat.png)
PickSlashAxe.png 393 0 0
Machete.png Shipwrecked icon.png Hamlet icon.png 402 0 0
Boomerang.png Axe.png Pickaxe.png Brush.png

Tail o' Three Cats.png Malbatross Bill.png Bull Kelp Stalk.png Don't Starve Together icon.png

442 0 0
Stalking Stick.png Hamlet icon.png 589 0 0
Eyeshot.png Shipwrecked icon.png 600 0 0
Saddlehorn.png Hammer.png Pitchfork.png Shovel.png Walking Cane.png Willow's Lighter.png Torch.png

Whirly Fan.png Driftwood Oar.png Oar.png Slow-Down Rounds.png Pebbles.png Don't Starve Together icon.png

706 0 0
Lucy the Axe.png 883 0 0
Bug Net.png Fishing Rod.png
2824 0 0

Imposing Claw

Wurt Portrait.png
Go away! No pinching!

Wurt

Imposing Claws are summoned by the Crab King. Their health and number depends on the number of Green Gems socketed.

Imposing Claws will only attack Characters (all characters, not only players) and Monsters, under no circumstances will they attack any other Mob, even if they are attacked by them.

Imposing Claws move slowly in the water, looking for a target to attack.

It takes 4 hits from the Ice Staff to freeze Imposing Claws.

They drop 1 piece of Meat when killed.

Cannon Tower

Cannon Towers are summoned by Crab King and periodically respawn if any are destroyed during the fight. Their resistance to being rammed by boats, health, and numbers depend on the number of Yellow Gems socketed into Crab King. Their damage and ability to cause leaks on boats depend on the number of Red Gems socketed. 5 or 6 Red Gems result in small leaks generated by their projectiles, whereas 7 or more results in medium leaks being generated.

Cannon Towers will only targets Characters on boats and boats themselves, favoring boats when a character is not on them. Ramming into them with a boat does an exponential amount of damage determined by the boat's speed as well as the amount of Yellow Gems socketed into Crab King.

They drop 2-4 Rocks, 0-1 Kelp Frond, 0-1 Barnacles, and 0-1 Cannonball when killed.

Prototype.png Tips

  • To make the fight easier, the player should try to use a variety of gems, as reaching 5 gems of a same color will add much more difficulty to the fight.
    • For example, going from 3 to 4 red gems only increases Cannon Tower damage a little bit. But going from 4 to 5 red gems means that Cannon Tower shots will cause leaks, in addition to the increased damage.

Placeholder.png Trivia

  • The Crab King was introduced in the She Sells Sea Shells update.
  • Barnacles were added to the Crab King's loot table in the Troubled Waters update.
  • Crab King's combat was fully reworked in the Staying Afloat update.
  • There is an unused animation of the Crab King dying as opposed to falling into the water when defeated.
  • The Crab King was once Pearl’s love interest, as the Pearl she gives the player is intended for it, the Shell Bells dropped by the Crab King also prove this relation further, as Pearl also awards Shell Bells to the players. When many characters examine the Pearl, they comment on Pearl not giving up on her love interest and when giving the Cracked Pearl back to Pearl herself, she appears to take it as being rejected by the Crab King.

Blueprint.png Gallery

Winona's Spotlight.png Animations