Sea Hound

From Don't Starve Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Exclusive to: Shipwrecked icon.png

WX-78 Portrait.png


A Sea Hound is a hostile Mob found in the Shipwrecked DLC. They may be encountered alone at sea, or attack the player in large packs while they are sailing.

Meats dropped into any part of the Ocean have a chance to spawn either one Crocodog or 2-4 Sea Hounds (60% chance of a Crocodog and 40% chance of Sea Hounds). The meat does not have to be dropped by the player themselves. The probability of an attack is based on the hunger value of the item dropped into the sea, and can be calculated by dividing the hunger value of a single item in the stack by 200. This means that the size of the stack does not increase the odds of an attack, but a large number of separate stacks of meat (such as those dropped by puncturing a bloated Whale carcass) can trigger a massive feeding frenzy. Monster Food, Roe, and Shark Fins will not trigger an attack.

Because they lose interest in the player easily, Sea Hounds may get distributed in the ocean and later be re-encountered.

Spear.png Fighting Strategy

Below is the number of hits it takes with each weapon to kill a Sea Hound when playing with characters with a default damage modifier. The Weather Pain is not included due to the random nature of its projectile.

Number of Hits
Item Sea Hound.png
Old Bell.png Reign of Giants icon.png 1 0 0
Obsidian Coconade.png Shipwrecked icon.png 1 0 0
Coconade.png Shipwrecked icon.png Hamlet icon.png 1 0 0
Spear Gun Obsidian.png Shipwrecked icon.png 1 - 1 Charged.png 0 - 0 Charged.png 0 - 0 Charged.png
Harpoon.png Shipwrecked icon.png
Blunderbuss.png Hamlet icon.png
1 0 0
Bee Mine.png ≥1 ≥0 ≥0
Spear Gun Battle.png Shipwrecked icon.png 1 as Wigfrid Portrait.png 0 as Wigfrid Portrait.png 0 as Wigfrid Portrait.png
Spear Gun Spear.png Spear Gun Poison.png Shipwrecked icon.png 2 0 0
Obsidian Spear.png Shipwrecked icon.png 2 - 3 0 - 0 0 - 0
Blow Dart.png 2 0 0
Electric Dart.png Don't Starve Together icon.png 2 (1 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png)
Dark Sword.png
Glass Cutter.png Don't Starve Together icon.png
3 0 0
Cutlass Supreme.png Shipwrecked icon.pngHamlet icon.png 3 0 0
Tooth Trap.png 3 0 0
Pew-matic Horn.png Hamlet icon.png 5, 4 or 3 0, 0 or 0 0, 0 or 0
Thulecite Club.png 3 0 0
Ham Bat.png 3 - 6 0 - 0 0 - 0
Obsidian Axe.png Shipwrecked icon.png 3 - 6 - Charged.png 0 - 0 - Charged.png 0 - 0 - Charged.png
Tentacle Spike.png

Cork Bat.png Hamlet icon.png
Cursed Rounds.png Marbles.pngDon't Starve Together icon.png

3 0 0
Slurtle Slime.png 3 0 0
Halberd.png Hamlet icon.png 4 0 0
Morning Star.png Reign of Giants icon.png 4 (3 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png) 0 (0 Wettargetdamage.png)
Bat Bat.png
Battle Spear.png Reign of Giants icon.png
4 0 0
Bramble Trap.png Hamlet icon.png Don't Starve Together icon.png 4 0 0

Poison Spear.png Peg Leg.pngShipwrecked icon.png
Moon Glass Axe.png Gold Rounds.png Don't Starve Together icon.png

5 0 0
Trident.png Shipwrecked icon.png 5 (2 Toy Boat.png) 0 (0 Toy Boat.png) 0 (0 Toy Boat.png)
PickSlashAxe.png 5 0 0
Machete.png Shipwrecked icon.png Hamlet icon.png 6 0 0
Boomerang.png Axe.png Pickaxe.png Brush.png

Tail o' Three Cats.png Malbatross Bill.png Bull Kelp Stalk.png Don't Starve Together icon.png
Gold Pan.png Hamlet icon.png

6 0 0
Stalking Stick.png Hamlet icon.png 8 0 0
Eyeshot.png Shipwrecked icon.png 8 0 0
Saddlehorn.png Hammer.png Pitchfork.png Shovel.png Walking Cane.png Willow's Lighter.png Torch.png

Telebrella.png Don't Starve icon.png
Shears.png Executive Hammer.pngHamlet icon.png
Cactus Spike.png Shipwrecked icon.png Whirly Fan.png Driftwood Oar.png Oar.png Slow-Down Rounds.png Pebbles.png Don't Starve Together icon.png

9 0 0
Lucy the Axe.png 12 0 0
Bug Net.png Fishing Rod.png

Magnifying Glass.png Hamlet icon.png

36 0 0

It takes 2 blasts to freeze a Sea Hound with an Ice Staff. It takes 3 Sleep Darts to put Sea Hound to sleep.

Prototype.png Tips

  • Unlike Crocodogs, Sea Hounds cannot be stun-locked or set on fire. Their fast attack speed and spawning in groups also makes kiting and avoiding damage very difficult. Their only weaknesses are their relatively low health and inability to move onto land.
  • The Quackering Ram and the Harpoon are perfect to use against them as Sea Hounds will die in one hit to these weapons and the player is able to easily avoid damage. A Trident is also very effective if the player can dodge the Sea Hound’s first attack since this weapon will kill it before it can make a second attack.
  • Using poisoned, ranged weapons like the Poison Spear + Speargun or Poison Dart against Sea Hounds can make kiting significantly easier as it slows their movement and attacks to more manageable speeds.

Placeholder.png Trivia

  • Sea Hounds don't attack Sea Walls.
  • Sea Hounds were once used to replace Hounds in their periodic attacks, if the player was at sea. This feature was removed in the Home Sea Home update, adding Crocodogs which can traverse both land and water. While Hounds can no longer be encountered in the DLC at all (except via the Slot Machine), Sea Hounds were accidentally removed from the game, but were later added back in their current functionality.
  • A Cargo Boat may randomly be found at sea containing some loot, but jumping on the boat will trigger a Sea Hound attack.
  • When Sea Hounds are approaching, Wilson may comment with "I'm going to need a bigger boat!". This is a reference to the movie Jaws, in which a lead character says "We're gonna need a bigger boat!", while being stalked by a shark.
  • According to Wickerbottom, the scientific name for Sea Hound is Houndus Selachii. "Houndus" is a play on the word "Hound", while Selachii is the order of sharks. Interestingly enough, sharks in real life were historically called "sea dogs" by sailors.

Blueprint.png Gallery