“That thing is rather large!”
“At least it will be a quick end.”
“IT IS RUNNING INCOMPATIBLE SOFTWARE”
“He's lookin' for a kerfuffle.”
“I command you to stay back.”
“Presumably, the terrifying arachnid arms are just vestigial.”
“You're not a friend!”
“Get out of here, grom!”
“I've no interest in monkey business.”
“THOU LUMP OF FOUL DEFORMITY!”
“Because being a giant ape wasn't enough, you had to add spider legs.”
A Spider Monkey is an aggressive Monster exclusive to the Hamlet DLC. It spawns from Cocooned Trees. It is a huge ape-like creature with spider legs on its back.
It can be hit 1-2 times per kite, 3-4 times if they are roaring. Upon death, it can drop Monster Meat, Silk, Beard Hair, and Spider Glands. If left alive, a Spider Monkey will periodically drop Manure.
Just like Spiders, Spider Monkeys have their own Den, which consists of a Cocooned Tree surrounded by webbing which slows the player when stepped on. However, unlike Spiders, they cannot enter inside their Den, as it is a tree; they simply keep wandering around it during the Day, and sleep next to it at Night, which allows the player to attack them by surprise.
Even if a herd of Spider Monkeys spawns in the same Den, they do not assist each other, and can be targeted individually without fear of alerting the others. However, care must be taken not to stand too close to them, otherwise they will attack the player.
If a Spider Monkey's Cocooned Tree is destroyed, or if it got carried away from it, it will attempt to "use" another Cocooned Tree to find another Rainforest Tree off-screen to transform into a Cocooned Tree. This makes Silk easily obtainable, albeit at a slow rate.
- Each Spider Monkey herd spawns 1 Spider Monkey per day until it reaches its size cap. Which means it is perfectly safe to regularly kill Spider Monkeys to farm their drops or make chopping down the cocooned trees easier as long as you don't kill all of them. It is recommended that you keep at least 2 alive at all times and not kill them or chop cocooned trees while Rabid Beetles are active as they and Snaptooths may render them extinct especially when they try to move to their new nests.
- Spider monkeys will not change aggro until its first target is dead. They share this with Tallbirds.
- It appears to share the same base model with the Boarilla, a Mob exclusive to the Don't Starve Together event The Forge.
- Although they are spider-like mobs, Webber cannot befriend them and they will attack Webber if approached. The same applies to Wilbur, despite also being monkey-like mobs.
- In the game files, there is an unused prefab by the name of spider Spiderape, which may be why this creature's looks more closely resemble apes than monkeys.
- The Spider Monkey's name is most likely a reference to the real life spider monkey.
- There was a bug that caused it to only inflict 20 damage. This was later fixed.
- They seem unable to change aggro until their initial target dies or it loses interest, this can be abused by leaving Ro-bin nearby and drawing their aggro to it, leaving them vulnerable to attack.
- Spider monkeys spawns from their nest only when the player is far away from them (off-screen), as there is no spawning animation.
- According to Wickerbottom, its scientific name is Arachnid Hominidae. In biological taxonomy, "Arachnid" is a class of joint-legged invertebrate animals (arthropods), in the subphylum Chelicerata, and "Hominidae" is a family of bipedal mammals of the order Primates.
- Spider Monkeys breed like Volt Goats and Beefalos, the Cocooned Tree is only there to mark their territory but they still need a Cocooned Tree to be able to breed.
- Spider Monkeys work like herds, so you can move the entire herd by breaking their current homes.